WHERE TO GET THEM AND HOW TO USE THEM
To help the community prepare for possible flooding, sandbags and sand are available free of charge at the City of Waterford Corp Yard located at 109 S. E Street to City residents and business owners in November, December, January, February, March, and April depending on weather conditions.
HOW TO FILL AND STACK SANDBAGS
When filling sandbags you should work in pairs, with one person holding the bag while the other shovels in the fill material. The first shovel of fill will be placed on the lip of the bag to help hold the bag open. The bag holder should bend at the waist until the elbows are resting on the knees while he is holding the bag open. The shoveler should use rounded scoops of fill until the bag is approximately 1/3 full. While shoveling, avoid extra movements (turning or twisting of the back) as this will tire you out sooner. A funnel is also provided to help with this process.
The use of sandbags is a simple but effective method of preventing or reducing damage from water or debris. Suggestions for construction sandbags follow:
- Close-weave burlap bags are recommended for all sandbag construction.
- Fold over the empty top of the bag in a triangle to keep sand from leaking.
- Place each bag over the folded top of the preceding bag and stomp into place the next layer of bags.
- Stagger the second layer of bags, stomping each bag into place before placing the next.
- Stomp each successive layer of bags.
Walls made of lumber or sandbags can be constructed to channel the mud and debris away from any improvements.
For further information please contact the Public Works Department at (209) 874-4095, City Hall at (209) 874-2328, or firstname.lastname@example.org