THE CITY OF WATERFORD NEEDS YOUR HELP IN THE FIGHT AGAINST GRAFFITI!
Graffiti is unsightly and does not portray a positive image in the community. It also gives the “tagger” a sense of pride when he sees what he has done. The City works hard to discourage this behavior by covering graffiti as soon as it is noticed on many city owned buildings and the park facilities. However, they need your help.
The City of Waterford Municipal Code States under code 9.14.070 Removal of graffiti:
- Graffiti on Public Property. Where graffiti exists on property owned by a public agency other than the city, then graffiti may be removed by the city with the consent of the public agency owning said property, and the city may proceed with any enforcement actions authorized by law against any person responsible for the graffiti. Any fines or penalties collected as a result of the arrest and conviction of any person for a violation of this chapter shall be credited to the city as reimbursement for its abatement of the graffiti.
- Graffiti on Private Property. 1 – Graffiti shall be removed from private property within fifteen calendar days after notification to the property owner by the city to remove such graffiti. 2 – In the event a property owner fails to remove the graffiti after notice has been given, the city may, at its option, abate the graffiti as a nuisance, and the cost of such abatement may be placed as a lien or assessment against the property. (Ord. 93-12 §1, 1993).
WHAT TO DO
- Always have additional matching paint for the surface you want to keep free from graffiti.
- If possible, remove graffiti DAILY! Immediate removal of graffiti discourages vandals.
- Report graffiti as soon as you see it to the Public Works Department! Don’t wait for someone else to reported it.
WHAT NOT TO DO
- Do NOT spot paint. Paint with even strokes covering large square areas.
- Only use EXTERIOR paint on outside walls and surfaces.
- Do not paint property you do not have authorization to re-paint, such as mailboxes, street signs, overpasses, or signal boxes. Contact the City of Waterford instead.
For further information please contact the Public Works Department at (209) 874-4095, City Hall at (209) 874-2328 or firstname.lastname@example.org